This month marks the 110th anniversary of International Women’s Day. Virtual cheers! Whether you spend March the eighth campaigning for equality or you choose to focus on liberating some pleasure at home, we raise a glass and wish you a wonderful day.
Now, we’re big fans of celebrating the amazing women in our lives all year round, and we’re also huge fans of positive sexuality, not just for women, but for everyone. Today we’re taking a peek at some top sex toys for women (and/or any proud vagina owner) and their partners to enjoy together or apart. But first...
The Origins of International Women’s Day
1911 marked the first official International Women’s Day. While it’s not observed by every country today, March the eighth has become a date to celebrate and honor the accomplishments of women and to recognize, talk about and/or to help facilitate equality.
The United Nations recognized International Women’s Day in 1975 (International Women’s Year). Shortly after in 1977, March 8th was declared the UN Day for women’s rights and world peace.
Purple (for justice), green (for hope), and white (for purity) are the colors that symbolize International Women’s Day, and are derived from the UK’s Women’s Social and Political Union in 1908.
For 2021, the UN has themed International Women’s Day with “Women in leadership: Achieving an equal future in a COVID-19 world.” The campaign theme is “Choose the Challenge.” Hashtags you can use to promote the occasion are #IWD2021, #ChooseToChallenge, and #InternationalWomensDay.
Positive Female Sexuality
From a strictly sexual standpoint, improvements to women’s health and rights translates to better, healthier, and more positive sex lives overall. We should always strive to uplift the women in our lives, including those who speak openly about their sex lives. Speaking of, let’s take a quick look at some landmark sexual breakthroughs for women.
- The first vibrator for women was invented sometime in the 1880s.
- Kinsey’s ‘Sexuality In the Human Female’ was published in 1953. It was immediately controversial because it challenged conventional beliefs (yay!) and discussed ‘taboo’ subjects (also yay!).
- Contraceptive was legalized in Canada in 1969.
- Several sex positive books were published in the 70’s, including Our Bodies, Ourselves in 1971 and The Joy of Sex and Open Marriage in 1972.
How To Sexily Celebrate International Women’s Day
It might seem a little strange to equate International Women’s Day to sex toys, but really, why wouldn’t we? Speaking frankly about sex and sexuality is incredibly important, not just on March 8th, but all year long. For many women, plus people across the gender spectrum, sex toys play a huge role in both giving and receiving pleasure. Plus, orgasms help relieve stress (science!) and less stress is something we could all use right about now.
To help you, or you and your partner celebrate International Women’s Day, and to keep you celebrating long into the coming year, here are some of our favorite sex toys. Keep them all to yourself, share them or gift them!
Sex Toys for Couples
Truthfully, there aren’t many sex toys that can’t be used in a coupled-up situation. You don’t need to literally share your vibrator, butt plug or nipple clamps if you’d rather not (sharing sex toys safely is a whole other topic), but the simple act of using a sex toy with a partner present can be incredibly sexy and empowering. That said, you can find our entire collection of Sex Toys For Couples here. Click to explore a world of vibrators, playful bondage gear, wearable penis or strap-on rings, massagers, candles and much more.
One-on-One Sex Toys
When you don’t have, don’t need or don’t want a partner around, there are literally thousands of sexy stimulation aids and orgasm tools that can help you make the most of your alone time. If you’re a woman, your partner is a woman, or really, if one or both of you has a vagina, vulva or clitoris, click here to explore our huge collection of Sex Toys For Women. Not sure where to start? No worries! You can browse by Best Seller, Newest, Price and Featured toys by simply clicking either option. Pro tip: our Clitoral Stimulators section is a great place to snoop around! Here you’ll find some of our tried and true favorites, including a ton of innovative suction vibes. Read through some rave reviews for some inspiration.
Get in Touch with Your Sexuality
Maybe you’re not even into sex toys. That’s 100% a-okay! There are many other things you can do to explore yourself inside and out (figuratively and literally).
- Therapy – Past traumas, social pressures and much more can sometimes make a healthy sex life feel low-priority. Professional counsellors and therapists can help you work through whatever it is that is preventing you from feeling good about yourself and/or enjoying intimacy. Many offer virtual counselling, which, especially now, can make therapy much more accessible.
- Self care – Try to set aside some time for yourself at least once a day. Self care can be whatever you want it to be. You can spend your time reading, practicing a detailed makeup or hair look, playing a video game, etc. Taking time for yourself can help you relax, which in turn boosts your mood. Check out this advice from Dr. Sunny for more tips.
- Journaling – While bullet journaling and using planners can help you organize your entire life, we’re focussing on getting out those inner thoughts with this tip. You can reflect on your day, set goals and create positive affirmations, or explore your sexy side. Use your writing time to acknowledge hidden desires, recreate your most thrilling experiences, and remind yourself what you love the most about yourself and your body.
- Have a photoshoot – There is no better way to highlight what you love most about yourself than to document it through photos. You can channel your inner Marilyn Monroe or Betty Page by donning your favorite lingerie (or going nude) and taking some pinup-inspired selfies. Send them off to a partner, or keep them all to yourself.
Empower your Orgasms with Sex Toys for Women from PinkCherry
PinkCherry stands for women everywhere, and we’re happy to offer a wide range of sex toys and pleasure tools to help you discover, empower and celebrate your sexuality. Happy International Women’s Day!