Most people are fortunate enough to never experience living apart from their significant other.
This is not to say that space is a bad thing, because being apart for some time can strengthen bonds. Still, it takes a lot of determination to stay faithful in addition to keeping that spark alive.
More than ever before, people are connecting through social media, dating websites, and apps like Tinder to find love.
That doesn’t always mean Mr. or Mrs. Right is going to be from your neck of the woods.
Businesses are becoming more global as well, which means more travel and relocations for work. There are many examples of couples around the world who’ve learned how to make long-distance relationships work for them.
What is a Long-Distance Relationship?
So, what exactly qualifies as a long-distance relationship? How would someone define this type of situation?
If your significant other travels for business once a year, I’m not sure that counts.
I’d say that a long-distance relationship is one in which the couple are living apart more than they are together. They also need to live far apart. What counts as far?
I don’t have any set numbers as far as distance but being able to take a ten-minute drive to see your lover isn’t enough space. Plane ride required to see your boo? That definitely counts.
What Are The Advantages & Disadvantages of Long-Distance Relationships?
If you’re about to embark on a long-distance relationship, there’s a few things you should know.
It’s common to experience sadness when you have to be away from someone you love. Try to address the negatives as they arise and focus on the good aspects to get you through.
While not everything on this short list is going to apply to every situation, there are some standard wins and setbacks to dating (or being married) from afar.
3 (Real) Advantages of Long Distance Relationships
Individual freedom – not having to fight over the remote? Sign me up for that!
I’d rather choose The Spanish Princess over Game of Thrones any day (hate me all you want).
When you’re not with your partner 24/7, you’ll have more space to do the things you like, whether that be painting or working out or rescuing a zillion cats. Your time is yours.
Less pressure for physical aspects – yes, there are many ways to fulfill your sexual urges without being in the same state or country, but you’re not going to need to jump right in the sack.
If you’re in a new long-distance relationship, you might be able to tease out revealing the goods a little longer and focus more on conversation.
The whole bed to yourself – I know a lot of people like to snuggle, but if you’ve been with an aggressive cuddler before you know exactly what I mean.
You can snore on through the night without disturbing your partner’s peace. Wear your retainer and take off your makeup without worrying what you look like.
You’re free to be yourself and you aren’t required to share your belongings (all the blankets for moi!)
3 (Actual) Disadvantages of Long Distance Relationships
Finding time to talk (or *wink, wink*) – if you’re far away, you might be experiencing a difference in time zones.
With busy schedules, it can be hard to find a time when you’re both awake to talk to one another.
Luckily, this isn’t the 80’s before email and text messaging became a thing. But...it’s still a drag when you might go a week or more without talking to them.
Boredom – choosing to continue dating from a distance when there are other people you could be with in your own neighborhood takes true dedication.
Combining this with a lack of in-person interactions and sexual experiences multiplies this problem.
If you can’t make it work, let that person go instead of cheating.
Sexual frustration – I mean, I don’t know what else to call it. It can be super irritating not being able to get physical in person.
Video chatting is great, but there is always a yearning for the real deal. We’ve got some suggestions on how to deal with this problem. Keep reading!
Long-Distance Relationship Sex: How to be Sexually Intimate
We are living in a truly amazing time for innovation in technology.
There are more ways than ever to talk with each other through text, voice, and video. Long gone are your mom’s days of phone sex with a corded handset.
The old-school ways to stay connected involved hand-written letters, phone calls, emails, and texting. They’re all great, but today’s class involves a lesson on video chatting and Bluetooth sex toys for couples!
You can use the video chat function on your phone or through other social apps, like Facetime, Facebook, or Skype to have a face-to-face conversation.
If you want to get a little frisky, maybe flash some skin, or have a full-on video sex session, you should probably try something with a bit more protection.
Did you really think you were going to get out of the safe sex talk in this article?
Don’t let spyware happen to you. Seriously! Check your laptop, tablet, phone, whatever devices you’re using for viruses on the regular. Update and reboot your device every few days. And PLEASE make sure you have a good password.
Sex Apps For Long Distance Relationship Couples
As far as which app to use, do lots of research first. No two are alike!
Your partner gets full control to send you pulses that range from tiny flutters all the way to earthquake-status rumbles. In the reverse, you might be the one in charge of conducting the remote stimulations for your lover.
Remember that virtual sex is a lot about the visuals, so make sure to give them some good angles and wear some sexy lingerie from PinkCherry if you want to give their eyes a special treat.
11 Activity & Ideas for Long-Distance Relationships
If you’re running out of things to do or talk about in your long-distance relationship, we’ve got a list of suggestions.
These are also helpful for those just starting out in a long-distance relationship too!
- Take online quizzes to better understand each other: you can do corny quizzes that are just for fun or even more in-depth ones that help you discover your personality traits.
- Play games online together: you can try video games like Fortnite, Call of Duty, etc. or even something as simple as Words with Friends.
- Play 20 questions: you can ask things you’ve been dying to know or get goofy about it.
- Make playlists for each other: this one has some 90’s mixtape vibes. Give your partner a full sampling of what you might listen to in a day or songs that make you think of them.
- Cook together: make sure they have time to pick up the ingredients beforehand, and then walk them through your favorite recipes.
- Watch a movie or show together: if you start your movie at the same time (mute yourselves so you don’t hear echoes), you can discuss each other’s opinions during commercials or after.
- Virtual tour your city or a nearby attraction: with video chatting, you can take your partner along with you as you explore a museum or check out trendy shops downtown.
- Read a book or poetry to each other: total ASMR vibes! Pick one of your favorites or one of theirs. Even if you’re not a bookworm, reading erotica together is bound to get things steamy.
- Video chat your workouts: you can be each other’s motivation (and check out those buns of steel).
- Have a crafting night: you can each choose something to make during a video chat and send the results to each other through mail.
- Introduce friends and family: if you’re going to be apart for a significant amount of time, it can’t hurt to know the other people that are there to support your partner.
Stay Connected in a Long-Distance Relationship with PinkCherry
Whether you’re just kicking it off with someone new or you’ve been in it for the long haul, a long-distance relationship comes with many challenges.
PinkCherry is always there to help you out, no matter if you need something for a solo night of pleasure or a sex toy to connect you both from miles away.