We all go through changes in life, it’s the most natural thing in the world! There’s even a saying that goes something like: ‘change is the only constant.’ Sometimes, physical changes can be due to the natural process of aging, some are stress or lifestyle related, and sometimes, they can be brought on by certain health conditions.
“So, what does this have to do with my penis,” you ask? Well, experiencing erectile dysfunction at any point in your life is frustrating. While we always recommend talking to a medical professional about any sexual health issues you may be experiencing, there are some non-medical alternatives you can try if medication or other therapy doesn’t seem like a viable option for you. Those alternatives can be found in the form of sex toys and products like penis pumps, erection enhancing creams, cock rings, and even masturbators.
Now, you may not be experiencing ED at all, but maybe your partner has been struggling a little, or you know a friend of a friend who could use some advice. Either way, keep reading to discover some great tips on sexual health for people with penises.
6 Healthy Habits to Give your Pecker a Pickup
First off, it’s important to understand that lifestyle can definitely impact your health, sexual and otherwise. Some of your healthy (or unhealthy) habits could be the reason behind some of your sexual struggles. Like we mentioned above, if you’re experiencing erectile dysfunction or other penile issues, you should certainly speak to a doctor as soon as you can. In the meantime, you can try making a few changes in your daily routine to start living a healthier sex life.
1. Get plenty of exercise! Research shows that you can improve your penis’s function through regular physical activity. When we say regular, we mean weekly exercise somewhere between 2 to 6 hours total, depending on intensity level.
2. Quit that smoking habit! According to a 2014 study, Mary Jane isn’t doing you any favors in the bedroom. Regularly smoking cannabis could lead to misshaped and incorrectly sized sperm. If you’re not trying to get pregnant, this may not affect your intentions, but it’s good information to know.
3. Kick your sex frequency into high gear! More frequent trips to the bedroom with your lover could lower your risk of erectile dysfunction, according to a study from 2008. If you read through the study, you’ll find that the target number for getting it on is around three times each week.
4. Get adequate sleep! During a 2011 study, drastically lower levels of testosterone were discovered in men who got less than 5 hours of sleep each night. This was in comparison to men who averaged 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night.
5. Watch what you eat! There have been many studies on how diet affects sexual performance. Many show that eating processed foods high in trans fats leads to low-quality sperm. You should try to eat a balanced diet full of whole grains, vegetables, and fish. You may also want to add coffee to your list of beverages, since a team of researchers found that the added caffeine of 2 to 3 cups per day relaxes arteries and smooth muscle in the penis. This means more blood flow and less instances of erectile dysfunction.
6. Do Kegels! You might have heard a lot of talk about women doing Kegel exercises to strengthen their pelvic floor, but did you know men can do them too? Better yet, a review in the journal “Urology” showed that they can reduce erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation.
What’s a penis pump?
First off, there is no proven non-surgical way to permanently enlarge your penis, but a good penis pump can temporarily make you look and feel bigger and harder. Penis pumps, as it turns out, can also help combat erectile dysfunction, as they were specifically designed to draw blood into your or your partner’s penis. If you don’t have any known medical issues that could be aggravated by a penis pump (this is why talking to a doc is important!), they’re a safe choice, generally speaking. When you use a penis pump, you could experience:
- Around 30 minutes of erection
- Lengthened penis and increased girth of the penis (temporarily)
- Firmer erection
- Non-invasive results with no lasting side effects
Once again, talk to your doctor about your sexual health and erection dysfunction concerns. There are certainly some cases when a penis pump won’t be appropriate, and could even be harmful. You shouldn’t use a penis pump if you:
- Have been diagnosed with a blood disorder
- Have a history of blood clots
- Take a blood thinner medication
- Experience priapism (where the penis stays erect for too long)
Is a penis pump right for me?
There are a few things you should know before you decide if a penis pump is right for you. There’s a possibility of pain or bruising from misuse, so be sure to read up on the instructions for your specific device and make sure your pump is the right size for you. Another possible side effect is petechiae, which are tiny burst blood vessels that appear as small red dots under the skin. You might also notice some changes to your skin, including discoloration, numbness, or tingling. Avoid all of these issues by using your penis pump properly. Read the included instructions and/or do some online research. Google is your friend in this case!
How do I use a penis pump?
Prep: You may want to do some manscaping before using your new penis pump. Removing excess hair from around the base of your penis will allow the pump cylinder to fit snugly against your body, which is definitely something you want. You may also want to have some lube on hand.
Startup: Slide the pump’s tube over your non-erect penis, making sure it’s snug against your pubic bone, keeping your testicles free. Depending on the design of your pump, activate suction. Many penis pumps use a simple squeeze ball to draw negative pressure or suction inward, but many more feature an automatic or button-controlled mechanism to do the same. As the suction does it’s work, blood will flow quickly into your penis, and you’ll have a near-instant erection.
Now, in some cases of ED, the firmness you’ve gained from your penis pump can be temporary, and vanishes as soon as you stop pumping. That’s where a cock ring or constriction ring comes into play. Once you’ve reached your firmness goal, you can immediately slip a good quality cock ring (some pumps include one) over the base of your penis to keep it hard. More on cock rings below!
Action: Now you can use your boner however you see fit. Have fun masturbating or having intercourse with your partner. Don’t forget to cleanse and sanitize your penis pump once the fun has ended.
Alternatives to Penis Pumps
If you aren’t experiencing erectile dysfunction, you may have come across this article in search of ways to make sex more intense and/or last longer. You can certainly use a penis pump even if you don’t have problems achieving erection. There are, however, plenty of other erection-enhancing options, too. To help make sex even more enjoyable for both partners, you can try out a delay product and/or a cock ring.
Delay Creams and Sprays
If you’re looking for a way to last longer without using a sex toy or penis pump, a delay product might be perfect for you. As the name suggests, these products work by delaying ejaculation. As we all know, ejaculation is a sure-fire way to get rid of an erection, and these sprays, gels or creams help slow down that process. Most only take a few moments to become effective, and many require just a small amount to be used. Try out Stud 100 Spray or Colt Slick Lube. PinkCherry also sells a Mood Pleasure for Him pack that includes 5 perfect products for your penis. Be sure to follow the included instructions, as every product will vary.
Cock rings are a great little sex toy to have on hand! Simple in concept and easy to enjoy, they are designed to restrict blood flow from your penis, or, to be specific, maintain your erection. Cock rings come in a variety of materials, including body-safe silicones, metals, and jellies. Many cock rings include features like additional rings for your testicles or a vibrator for extra stimulation of your partner, or yourself. Some cock rings are designed to be worn over the base of your penis only, while others stretch to fit over both the base of your penis and your scrotum.
To best use a cock ring, slip it on before you get hard. Trying to put one on when you already have an erection could be difficult or even lead to injury. Be sure to select a size that fits you appropriately. A cock ring shouldn’t ever feel painful or uncomfortable. If it does, chances are that you’ve chosen one that’s too small or too rigid. When you have the size down pat, you can use a good water-based lube to help slide it on or off. If you experience any discomfort, you should take your cock ring off immediately. Never wear a cock ring for more than thirty minutes, and be sure to give it a good clean once you’re finished using it.
PinkCherry Has a Penis Pump that’s Perfect for You
Learning how to deal with ED and whatever life has to throw at you doesn’t have to be hard (pun intended). PinkCherry has over 50 different penis pumps and accessories that make your comfort and satisfaction a top priority. If you’re more into cock rings, be our guest and scroll through our many options to find exactly what you’re looking for.